Thrush: how to get rid of it?
Thrush (vaginal candidiasis) is a mycotic disease affecting mucous membrane of genital organs; it is caused by excessive reproduction of yeast-like fungus of Candida species - Candida albicans, Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, Candida krusei, andCandida parapsilosis.
REASONS OF THRUSH DEVELOPMENT
The following factors promote yeast infection:
- reduced immunity;
- chronic infections;
- sexually transmitted diseases;
- diabetes mellitus;
- antibiotic intake.
SYMPTOMS OF THRUSH
The main symptoms of thrush are:
- burning and itching in the region of external genitals (increased itching usually occurs during the sleep or after water procedures);
- white, more often curdy discharge from vagina;
- painful coitus;
- itching and burning in the region of balanus and prepuce of the penis;
- white incrustation on balanus;
- reddening of balanus and prepuce of the penis;
- painful coitus;
It is well known, that the frequency of candidiasis in women is 10-fold, than in men. Children and adolescents, virgins, women, who have not had sexual acts for a long time can also suffer from candidiasis.
Treatment of thrush
Nowadays there are many efficient medications for treatment of vaginal mycotic infection. They are produced in the form of capsules, tablets, vaginal creams and suppositories. Some of them are prescription preparations, others – OTC-drugs. In any case, optimal results can be achieved only under doctor’s control.
In case of highly repetitive candidiasis, modern oral preparations are used. They are quickly absorbed in gastrointestinal tract and are transported to target organs with blood flow. From the whole arsenal of antimycotics existing nowadays, itraconazole-containing preparations enjoy wide use in treatment of thrush. Itraconazole is an active substance of a widely-known preparation Itrungar®. This preparation is effective for candidiasis, caused by fungi of Candida species. Mechanism of action of the preparation is associated with inhibition of ergosterol synthesis – an important component of fungus cell membrane. Benefits of the preparation Itrungar® are conditioned by evident antimycotic activity, low toxicity and convenience at use.
PREVENTION OF THRUSH
Always wear cotton panties or at least the ones with cotton inset, which prevents formation of alkaline medium on vulvar lips (putrefactive, unpleasant odor indicates the formation of alkaline medium - favorable for pyogenic infection).
- Due to the same reason avoid wearing tights or other tight-fitting articles of clothing in summer.
- Do not wear wet swimming suit for a long time: warm moist medium promotes fungus development.
- Do not eat too much sweet – it may change the acidity of vagina and create favorable conditions for fungus reproduction.
- Use antibiotics only on doctor’s advice.
- Avoid sexual affairs during treatment of mycotic infection.
- Every day eat a glass of yoghurt containing the culture of bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus; it decreases the risk of repetitive infections 3-folds.
- After having a bath, a shower or after washing, wipe thoroughly the skin around genital organs with a dry towel. Wipe moving from the front to the back in order to avoid carrying bacteria into vagina.
- Use your personal toilet articles (towel, soap, bath sponge, etc.).
- Avoid using different substances (bath oil, hygienic sprays, powders), which may irritate the skin around vulva.